"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
Believe you can, and then you will."
The school counsellor is not only a professional but also a certified educator trained in school counselling with unique qualifications and skills to address all students' academic, personal, and social, emotional and career development needs. In All Saints International School, professionally trained school counsellors implement a comprehensive school counselling program that promotes and enhances student achievement.
Professional school counsellors meet the needs of student in three basic domains:
- Personal/Social development
- Academic development
- Career development
Knowledge, understanding and skill in these domains are developed through classroom instruction,appraisal consultation, counselling, coordination and collaboration.
MULTI- LAYERS TO A COUNSELLOR'S ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The counsellor's role in the school takes the shape of 'help' given to a child in case of a need with different difficulty level. The problem handling is child specific.
- Individual counselling - Resolve conflicts, identity development, student specific needs (substance abuse, peer pressure etc)
- Consultation - Working with teachers and staff to meet students need, e.g. teach staff about various student issues like suicide & loss.
- Parent help - Meet individual & groups with parents, provide resources and information on child development, specific topics etc.
- Referral - Provide referrals to appropriate professionals in the schools and in the outside community regarding the children with special needs.
- Classroom observation - Observe behaviours, relationships and providing feedback to teachers, parents and staff.
- Career development - Developing and implementing career awareness as a part of the school curriculum.
- Organizing and conducting workshops and seminars on value based/life skills on varied topics like child abuse, anger management, self awareness, role playing and time management etc with the students as well as with the teachers.
Benefits of Counselling to children:
Problems of everyday living are a normal part of life. Family stress is common and can affect everyone. Children can have emotional experiences that prevent them from doing as well as they should at home and at school. Parents suffer when things are not going well for themselves or for their children. Yet when identified early, these types of concerns respond quickly to treatment, sometimes in just a few sessions.
The school counsellor in All Saints works directly with the students in individual & group sessions as well as in classrooms so that students may:
- Adjust to a new school.
- Establish effective study habits & skills.
- Develop positive feelings about society, family, and work.
- Build positive feelings about 'self' and others.
- Develop skills in communicating and interacting with others.
- Cope in change with themselves and their surroundings.
- Identify and accept their own and others strengths and weaknesses.
- Recognize cause and effects of their actions.
- Become responsible for their behaviour.
- Receive crisis intervention when in need.
School counsellor helps students become motivated learners and encourages them to discuss their concerns with their parents or guardians. When students face crisis situation then with the help of parents/guardians, counsellors, they can become better individual and devote their attention & energies to the intellectual tasks at school.